The Organization of American States (OAS) Building, located at 17th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW. is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was constructed to house the Pan American Union (later renamed the Organization of American States).
The Pan American Union was established to strengthen relationships between the nations of the Americas, to support democracies, and to resolve international issues peacefully. Using Georgian, Tennessee, and Italian marble, architects blended North and South American architectural styles to construct the building in 1908. The area near the OAS building has become a central location for the placement of statues and memorials commemorating Hispanic liberators.